DAFC.net
Home 13 May 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Squad for next season
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sat 27 Apr 22:53

Now that we know which division we will be playing in next year I was having a think about what players are still under contract. As far as I can see we have the basis of our squad under contract for next season but will need to add some quality to this and make a few of them bench warmers if we have ambitions at the top end of the table.

Mehmet
Comrie
Fisher
Benedictus
Breen
Edwards

Hamilton
Otoo
Todd
Richie-Hosler

Wighton

Subs
O`Halloran
Chalmers
I think these players signed extensions but may be wrong-
McCann
Sutherland
Tod
Young

With the players that are almost out of contract, we will need to think about if they are good enough to get into the team above, and improve it. In the most part the answer to that will be no.

I`d be happy if we kept Fagan-Walcott and Kane, but Summers, Moffat, Jakubiak, Allan, Benjamin and Welch-Hayes haven`t done enough for me. Need to get some real quality in to lift the squad, someone like Brian Graham, possibly Bruce Anderson that can score more than 4 goals a season
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Squad for next season
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Sat 27 Apr 23:33

I think WH has done ok and would not mind if we sign him. Paul Allan has played quite well last few games and deserves another crack. Kane? Meh…

One think for sure we need six out and six in…..

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 00:24

There`s 50% garbage in that lot ,ffs

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 01:15

Quote:

saltonsgonagetu, Sun 28 Apr 00:24

There`s 50% garbage in that lot ,ffs

Agreed. Major clear out and refresh needed,especially with some of our under contract players
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 02:40

We’ve got more players signed up for next year than anyone else in the league.

We can’t sign Kane with wighton still on the books, unless you want to be relying on the likes of McCann again when they inevitably end up injured.

I’d keep Allan over chalmers but chalmers has managed to find himself under contract so fancy Allan will leave just to create space for new players.

The lad from livi wasn’t that good, plenty bloopers in him, I’d be happy to go with comrie next season as the starter.

In a perfect world we would be able to move chalmers, wighton, o’hallaran and McCann on, being realistic we’ll do well to move more than 1 of them on. So expect a couple of new faces to replace aplan and Edwards and the same squad supplemented loads of raw loans from other clubs who have barely kicked a ball.

Back to being drenched in my own negativity….

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 06:20

Im sure we have jak for next year too. Anyone expecting anything other than another drab season will have a long end to 2024 if we don`t get our finger out in the summer.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 06:38

If we can persuade a Hamilton, Cove, Queen of the South type to take Chalmers off our hands then I can see us offering Allan something but I agree, I can`t see us having both next season.

The defence on paper looks solid enough but we`ve conceded a lot of silly goals this season. If we continue with the 3-4-2-1 then we need someone who is mobile, can press and can finish. Not many of them about, I honestly can`t even suggest a sensible name right now. Could be that we gamble in the way Arbroath and Ayr have in the last few years with Nouble and Akinyemi. Bruce Anderson is leaving Livingston but I`m sure he`ll have offers in the Premiership.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 06:57

I can`t see anyone wanting to sign any of the above. If we sell Edwards then they will be great although we don`t have another asset.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: weemike  
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 07:10

You`ll struggle to get better than allan and Edwards on the free market. Especially when we are competing. The window will be more of the same
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 08:40

Out of that list I’d be looking to offload

Fisher
Chalmers
Wighton
MOH
McCann

I’d try and secure Kane. Fagan-Walcott as well, with him, a fit Breen and Benedictus think we have a good nucleus there. I wouldn’t be against Welch-Hayes as well.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 08:46

Fisher ?

Can’t agree there

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 08:49

Fisher will easily be a Scottish premier CB In future.

Madness
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 08:53

Probably being very harsh with Fisher, just not been impressed with him recently, I know he’s had an injury plagued season as well so perhaps he’ll do better next season.

I’m not as sold on him as others though, good bench option.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Alter Ego  
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 10:20

Will McPake be with us next season? The style of football he plays is brutal to watch at times. Really need to freshen up that squad for next season as there is no chance we will be in the top 4.
The board need to back the manager and get players in quickly but where’s the money going to come from as the club is 1m in the hole. I think it’s going to be a very interesting pre season!

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gaz3822  
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 10:35

McPake will get another crack.
Problem for me is I don`t really trust him to turn us into a nice to watch, attacking football team. I`ve seen no evidence he can do it.

I also don`t trust him to bin the certain players that the majority of us see as being not good enough for mounting a proper challenge.

The new window will be awfy important.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 10:40

Quote:

Gaz3822, Sun 28 Apr 10:35

McPake will get another crack.
Problem for me is I don`t really trust him to turn us into a nice to watch, attacking football team. I`ve seen no evidence he can do it.

I also don`t trust him to bin the certain players that the majority of us see as being not good enough for mounting a proper challenge.

The new window will be awfy important.

That`s not happening,

If we get anywhere it will be with 1 nil wins

He tries to make the teams tight at the back before anything
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 11:14

3 at the back I fear is here to stay. I can`t see Bene part of a central 2 anymore.

Ep.16 of East End Tales is out now with Steven Mill

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14949749
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 11:34

Not sure if if Mcpake has anything else in his locker other than thedrab tactics he serves up most games , same same every game , doubt if we we will mmake the play offs if we hold on to the majority of the current squad, surely he can see that a lot of them are not up to championship standard,

G.B
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 11:44

I firmly believe that this squad could compete at the top end of the table if the tactics were different. If all the players were released tomorrow most of them would get in championship squads,

If Ian Murray had our squad this season we`d be in a higher position. IMO
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LEGEND85  
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 11:55

Quote:

weemike, Sun 28 Apr 11:44

I firmly believe that this squad could compete at the top end of the table if the tactics were different. If all the players were released tomorrow most of them would get in championship squads,

If Ian Murray had our squad this season we`d be in a higher position. IMO

I just can`t agree with the statement about the squad being good enough.

We needs big changes in my opinion but like others have said am not sure that`s going to happen
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 11:56

Problem we`ll have, especially if we end up finishing 5th, is that the board and management team will be thinking that we`d have made top 4 without the injuries and that clearly whatever they`re doing is the right way of going about things. They`ve also employed 3 managers in a row who prefer the slow as anything possession based play, so I can`t see that changing any time soon sadly.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 12:02

There is a bit of a contradiction in saying so many of our squad aren`t good enough for the Championship (I reckon this has been said about 7 of our regular squad, excluding loanees) and the fact that we`re going to finish no worse than 7th, despite suffering an unusual amount of injuries (I think Edwards is the only player who hasn`t suffered an injury). Some players are more inconsistent than others but I wouldn`t say any have been out of their depth. I think that`s the norm in the Championship unless you`ve got a really generous budget.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 12:10

Either both the squad and the management team are Duff, or it`s one or the other,

McPake can be a success with a better calibre of player (which costs massive amounts of money).

Or this squad can be better with better management/tactics.

I`m of the mindset that better management/tactics can provide better results with this squad.

McPake needs to have a long, hard look at the tools he has,

An example being having a sprinter in MFW at center half should mean we are playing a high line and taking risks knowing we have pace to get back.

We need to be taking more risks to score more goals.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: hudza  
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 12:46

Got some boys signed up for next year that are not good enough for us to push for promotion. I think loan signings will again be important.
Wighton, Chalmers, Comrie, Breen n O Halloran won’t push us on at this level.
Mccann is a weird one. Has all the attributes to be a very good player but has been rotten now for a long time. Again, maybe can improve with a more attacking brand of football but not sure he can.
Hamilton is also a lot better in defence than he is in midfield but one I would keep as can yet improve as is still a young lad.
Mcpake also needs to consider this honking style of football. We need a more attacking style to get more out of the good players we have such as KRH, Todd etc.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 12:48

I think the squad is good enough. They have kept us in the championship but for a period of injuries we would have made the playoffs. First season back in this league takes some adjustment. Tge younger players have the season in the bank and will improve next year. I think that Paul Allan is an underrated player. He has good balance and awareness and two feet as he proved yesterday.

I personally wouldnrt be quick to write players off. Improvement needed but the potential is in there.

Post Edited (Sun 28 Apr 15:26)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 7 Eleven  
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 13:09

It baffles my brain that a manager and coaching staff can have a set of players for the best part of 46 weeks of a season, in a full time environment, and not make every one of them better, even in a competitive environment.

The days of doing a training session in the morning then boosting home should be long gone in the modern game.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 13:20

If we can find a way then wouldn`t be disappointed to see Chalmers, O`Halloran and McCann move on.

Doubt Moffatt will be back, likewise Summers and Benjamin.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."

Post Edited (Sun 28 Apr 13:20)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 13:44

"It`s going to be a big summer" - is a significant statement from McPake yesterday.
It`ll be interesting to see if it`s any different from the last couple.

Whilst the injury situation was extreme we might just have an injury prone squad.
The scramble for loans in January has prevented a relegation play off, and this season we must be better prepared squad wise.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 14:09

I don`t mind if we weren`t nice to watch but won games. Problem is we have been dreadful to watch and limped to safety.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 14:20

I suspect the budget was pushed in Jan due to injuries and results so expect it will return to normal which makes the likes of Kane can’t be signed unless a higher earner leaves.

Need to move away from these raw loans of boys, this isn’t the league to rely on young loans who haven’t played the men’s game. Walcott was good and Kane did okay but the rest were either meh or just downright no where near the level required for this league.

The reserves have had a great season, let’s use our limited budget to get the right experience in and supplement with our own raw youngsters. We might as well.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 14:50

Quote:

Berkey, Sun 28 Apr 14:20

I suspect the budget was pushed in Jan due to injuries and results so expect it will return to normal which makes the likes of Kane can’t be signed unless a higher earner leaves.

Need to move away from these raw loans of boys, this isn’t the league to rely on young loans who haven’t played the men’s game. Walcott was good and Kane did okay but the rest were either meh or just downright no where near the level required for this league.

The reserves have had a great season, let’s use our limited budget to get the right experience in and supplement with our own raw youngsters. We might as well.

The loans are physically bigger and technically better than most of what we have in the youth set up. Hence why Holmes is preferred ahead of sutherland, moffat ahead of tod etc.

Tod is closest to being in the first team, and will impose himself in reserve games but will be anonymous in the championship.

The loan route has unearthed Otoo, KRH and MFW, even if we signed MFW and MWH that would be an amazing summer window.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The moose  
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 15:29

Quote:

weemike, Sun 28 Apr 14:50

Quote:

Berkey, Sun 28 Apr 14:20

The loans are physically bigger and technically better than most of what we have in the youth set up. Hence why Holmes is preferred ahead of sutherland, moffat ahead of tod etc.

Tod is closest to being in the first team, and will impose himself in reserve games but will be anonymous in the championship.

The loan route has unearthed Otoo, KRH and MFW, even if we signed MFW and MWH that would be an amazing summer window.

Time for Mcpake to go.
He`s feckin clueless. 😞

BCM
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 15:33

Surely Sutherland can`t be worse than that turkey that Blackpool gave us.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 15:41

Quote:

cammypar 1995, Sun 28 Apr 15:33

Playing Holmes ahead of either of the Sutherland brothers is wild. The boy is terrible
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: StevenPar77  
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 16:31

Quote:

Andrew283, Sun 28 Apr 15:41

Quote:

Playing Holmes ahead of either of the Sutherland brothers is wild. The boy is terrible

Yeah, I`ve seen a lot of him in the shooting practice in the warm-up, and he has never given me any assurance of being a capable striker.

https://www.agiftfor.net
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 16:41

Quote:

StevenPar77, Sun 28 Apr 16:31

Quote:

Andrew283, Sun 28 Apr 15:41

Quote:

Yeah, I`ve seen a lot of him in the shooting practice in the warm-up, and he has never given me any assurance of being a capable striker.

In saying that McCann kicked it through the doors to Stephen`s from all of 2 yards out on Saturday and we offered him a 2 year deal..

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 16:48

The keep list for me isn’t very big but here goes:

GKs
Mehmet
Little

Defs
Comrie (although prefer to keep MWH tbh)
Bene
Breen
Fisher

Mids
Hamilton
Otoo
Chalmers (as squad player)
Todd
KRH

Strikers
Jakubiak
T Sutherland

If we can sign Fagan-Walcott then go for it, but I think its highly doubtful.

Id look to move on Edwards (for a good fee though), Allan, MOH, Wighton and McCann. Loanees Id let all return except MFW and Welch-Hayes if we can get them.

Look to promote some youths to first team as well - Fenton, Young, Tod, Sutherland. Mainly as squad players but start giving them experience and taste of it - they cant be any worse than some of the current line up.

Also, tactically needs to change. ditch the 3 at the back and go to a solid 4 with a holding midfielder. Give our attacking players more freedom to go and do what they want.

The core squad above should be used as a base and built around for the future.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: evo!  
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 16:50

While I get he has been one of the better loans, MFW to me has had as many poor games as good ones. In the same way that Mehmet can pull of great penalty saves, he can drop a few clangers and I`m surprised MFW is so consistently praised..he has chipped in with a few goals so appreciate that side to his game as well, but I`m.not totally convinced by him.

BEAST!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 16:58

Quote:

evo!, Sun 28 Apr 16:50

While I get he has been one of the better loans, MFW to me has had as many poor games as good ones. In the same way that Mehmet can pull of great penalty saves, he can drop a few clangers and I`m surprised MFW is so consistently praised..he has chipped in with a few goals so appreciate that side to his game as well, but I`m.not totally convinced by him.

Easily future spl or eng championship player, all day long.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AlterPar  
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 17:13

Mcpake has alluded to it being a big summer so I’m looking forward to seeing who we bring in. Hopefully a couple of unknown quantities to keep things interesting
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PansPar  
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 17:58

My main concern is that too many players are consistently being forced in to a formation or style of play that doesn`t seem to suit them. We can recruit all we want but if the same thing is going to keep happening then we shouldn`t expect much improvement. As others have said the standard of football going forward is absolutely brutal and the players often look a bit lost / lacking in confidence, which I pin firmly on McPake.

I forget who said it in another thread but they thought that our best centre midfield pairing is Otoo and Allan, which I agree with. Otoo offers physicality and drive, while Allan uses the ball well and delivers a great ball in to the box. I hope he`s here next season.

The young lads have clearly had a great season, so let`s hope we see a few of them break in to the first team.

Beyond that I`d be happy if we kept Jak, MFW and Moffat. Add a new striker who can attack crosses in to the box, and, top of the list, change the formation and style of play, then I`ll start looking forward to home games a bit more.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parfect69  
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 18:00

Giving extended contacts to some players was a mistake imo. Will severely hamper our summer signings unless we can offload some to lower leagues.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: nick_dafc1  
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 18:14

Quote:

Dave_1885, Sun 28 Apr 16:48

The keep list for me isn’t very big but here goes:

GKs
Mehmet
Little

Defs
Comrie (although prefer to keep MWH tbh)
Bene
Breen
Fisher

Mids
Hamilton
Otoo
Chalmers (as squad player)
Todd
KRH

Strikers
Jakubiak
T Sutherland

If we can sign Fagan-Walcott then go for it, but I think its highly doubtful.

Id look to move on Edwards (for a good fee though), Allan, MOH, Wighton and McCann. Loanees Id let all return except MFW and Welch-Hayes if we can get them.

Look to promote some youths to first team as well - Fenton, Young, Tod, Sutherland. Mainly as squad players but start giving them experience and taste of it - they cant be any worse than some of the current line up.

Also, tactically needs to change. ditch the 3 at the back and go to a solid 4 with a holding midfielder. Give our attacking players more freedom to go and do what they want.

The core squad above should be used as a base and built around for the future.

Mcpake thinks Wighton is the best striker in the league so his pal isn`t going anywhere.

He also gave Chalmers and O Halloran 2 year deals.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 18:33

To release players who are under contract another club is going to have to offer them terms at least as good as those we are paying them. If not, we`ll have to compensate them for any shortfall. Is any fee we get for Edwards going to be used to finance this? We don`t want to clock up another £1m loss presumably. Also, it`s not so long ago the club was being criticised for only offering players one-year deals which had a detrimental effect on recruitment.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 18:50

But the point is they handed out 2/3 year deals to players who should never have got them in the first place. That’s how we now have this issue. Poor from the management team

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 20:01

Let`s face it, no matter what he did re contracts some fans would disagree with it. We can argue all day about the contracts he offered. I think what`s awkward is we don`t seem to have many expiring at the end of the season which restricts his ability to bring in new players.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: KnebworthPar  
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 20:26

I think it’s fair to say that barring all the injuries we’d have been in with a good shout of making the playoffs. Some of the football has been turgid at best but we’ve survived the season and credit is due to McPake and the team for that.

We’ve improved from last season and the challenge for McPake is to improve again next season and I would imagine minimum expectations must be the playoffs. I liked his comment that it’s a big summer ahead and I don’t think anybody will disagree with him!

I can’t agree with those who think McPake should be punted, he deserves the chance to improve us again and I for one am looking forward to what the summer holds!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 20:57

1 million pounds in the hole….there is not going to be many signings if any imo.
We will get around £100k for Edward’s but that will need to be put back into the club to balance the books.
Chalmers,Wighton and MOH still on the books for next season and offer the team nothing…

Post Edited (Sun 28 Apr 20:59)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 21:08

Quote:

parsfan97, Sun 28 Apr 18:50

But the point is they handed out 2/3 year deals to players who should never have got them in the first place. That’s how we now have this issue. Poor from the management team

Agreed on that - 3 year deals to Championship middle aged players is crazy unless they are absolute superstars! Youngsters with big potential is understandable though
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AlterPar  
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 21:12

Quote:

Alter Ego, Sun 28 Apr 20:57

1 million pounds in the hole….there is not going to be many signings if any imo.
We will get around £100k for Edward’s but that will need to be put back into the club to balance the books.
Chalmers,Wighton and MOH still on the books for next season and offer the team nothing…

A company showing a loss isn’t always a bad thing and doesn’t necessarily mean what you assume. I can’t speak for pars particular financial situation but hopefully it’s not all that bad!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dover par  
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 21:13

Football this season has been dross, I wouldn`t lose an sleep if they all left and we started again.

"Pressure is something you feel when you don't know what the hell you're doing."
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 21:36

1 million loss and selling Edward’s for 100k🤷 We have Wighton,Chalmers and MOH on the books and I think they will be on decent wages…. Maybe time for these players to work hard pre season and turn up for what I think will be a harder championship than last?
There is no way the board will put money into the club and I will say Mr Cook has a hard job on his hands pre season…

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 23:13

What I would really like to see this summer is us find a formation and sign players who can actually play in it and with a plan in mind.

I honestly don’t know what the plan was with players like o’hallaran, play him as a wing back? We might aswell let KRH go if we’re going to stick with wing backs.

Feels like mcpake got desperate waiting for Dundee players and signed o’hallaran just to get another one in the door.

If we have any budget let’s try and cast the net wider and with more thought put into where and how we will use them please.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 23:24

Michael O`Halloran has never played for Dundee. In fact, most of the players McPake has signed have never played for Dundee but why should facts have anything to do with a conspiracy theory?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 23:27

3 months of this p*sh. What a time to be alive.....

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Sun 28 Apr 23:47

Nothing wrong with Berkeys post above. Contributed to the discussion by putting his opinion out there for debate - part of what a forum is for.

He didn`t say O`Hallaron played for Dundee.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 29 Apr 02:26

“Got bored waiting for Dundee players” doesn’t suggest he signed o’hallaran from Dundee does it? Wee eck I know you like to try and get in within 10 minutes of every post but at least try and make sense…

66% of the ‘experienced’ players (over 23) mcpake has signed permanently played for Dundee. Not to mention how many others such as Byrne, Ashcroft ridden he’s tried to sign.

If we include st Johnstone given Mackey’s obv links it’s 5 out of 6 with only miles from livi not having played at either club.

But you know this.

Post Edited (Mon 29 Apr 02:37)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 29 Apr 07:01

He doesn`t debate. He says the same thing over and over again.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 29 Apr 07:50

His post was ambiguous to say the least. It`s difficult to make sense of some of the stuff he posts. He didn`t say he was referring to experienced players and he has never explained what the problem is with signing players a manager has worked with before so he knows their capabilities and their character. It`s pretty common in football.

As said, he just repeats the same stuff over and over again. I suppose we should be grateful he managed a post without having a go at Lewis McCann.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Mon 29 Apr 08:09

Quote:

Alter Ego, Sun 28 Apr 21:36

1 million loss and selling Edward’s for 100k🤷 We have Wighton,Chalmers and MOH on the books and I think they will be on decent wages…. Maybe time for these players to work hard pre season and turn up for what I think will be a harder championship than last?
There is no way the board will put money into the club and I will say Mr Cook has a hard job on his hands pre season…

The £1m loss was for the season in League 1. The accounts, if I remember correctly, also show no external debt. Who do you think put the money in to cover the shortfall?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 29 Apr 13:29

Quote:

Berkey, Mon 29 Apr 02:26

“Got bored waiting for Dundee players” doesn’t suggest he signed o’hallaran from Dundee does it? Wee eck I know you like to try and get in within 10 minutes of every post but at least try and make sense…

66% of the ‘experienced’ players (over 23) mcpake has signed permanently played for Dundee. Not to mention how many others such as Byrne, Ashcroft ridden he’s tried to sign.

If we include st Johnstone given Mackey’s obv links it’s 5 out of 6 with only miles from livi not having played at either club.

Berkey, I always read your posts. I sometimes despair at your pessimism, but you invariably back up what you say with some logic - not that it`s always perfect. 🙄

Your recent ones on this thread are a case in point. You`re rather guilty of over egging the pudding. McPake and Mackay are hardly unique in looking to bring in players they know they can work with. It happens all the time, but I`m sure you know that. A manager wants a player with certain qualities. There may be several that fit his requirements, but some of those are unavailable or do not want to come to the Pars. He`s left with a smaller pool to choose from. He knows one player whom he managed at a previous club. This player trains diligently, is of good character and will contribute to dressing room harmony. A second player is an unknown quantity and a third has a reputation of being argumentative and difficult to manage, even if his ability is not in dispute.

Who`s he going to go for? Bearing mind that the players he brings in can either help him to keep his job or get him the sack.....

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: fcda  
Date:   Mon 29 Apr 14:32

It can also be the case that players want to play for managers they enjoyed working with previously. That might tip the balance in our favour for some targets. Others may choose rejoin with a manager they know at another club.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 29 Apr 15:11

What`s the story with Bruce Anderson? Is there a reason he`s leaving Livi?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 29 Apr 15:33

Is he? He`d easily get another Prem club surely? Really liked him when he was on loan

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: the saline hill puma  
Date:   Mon 29 Apr 15:37

Quote:

jake89, Mon 29 Apr 15:11

What`s the story with Bruce Anderson? Is there a reason he`s leaving Livi?

They probably can`t afford him dropping down and league
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jojo  
Date:   Mon 29 Apr 16:30

Martindale said in an interview on Sportsound that Anderson and a “few of the boys “ are looking down south for pathway out of Livvy.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Mon 29 Apr 20:42

Callum Morris “down south” ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 29 Apr 21:17

I mean I get the logic in signing players you or your assistant have worked with previously if you think they add something but what I don’t get is signing players you have worked with previously who don’t fit into your rigid system of play.

O’hallaran being a perfect case in point, he’s contributed nothing this season but in a team with wing backs what were we planning on doing with him anyway? We play 1 upfront but with no target man and there’s no goals or assists in players who supports the striker.

We are now playing KRH as a wing back which hasn’t worked. What’s mcpake’s plan going forward?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 29 Apr 21:19

I could be wrong and hope 100% I am but the club will not be much in the transfer window for next season due to the big loss with training facility etc. We more or less have a full team with Sutherland who should step up.
So imo the club is looking to consolidate mid championship level again while building the academy. Remember the 7 year plan🤷🤷

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 29 Apr 21:34

Agree with Alterpar but need to remember part of the reason we ended up in the position we were in this season was a lack of depth in the squad. We lost a number of key players and relied on loan signings. Some I`d like us to sign, others I`m less fussed. I think we must have five(?) loans right now? You could argue the likes of Sutherland and Tod coming in provide cover but we`re likely to lose Edwards and we could definitely do with backup in midfield. If we`re not planning to play the younger lads it`d be good to get them loaned out to half decent league 1 teams to get some game time.

I`m not sure what`s going on up front tbh. Is it that we`ve got a load of duds, the formation we play or a bit of both? Todorov was let go for not being good enough but I think has scored more goals than every single striker in our squad!

I`m hoping that the summer allows the management team to try out some new formations. Get some bounce games in and test some new things out.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 29 Apr 23:30

Todorov scored 50% more league goals than anyone managed for us. And he’s far from a regular starter for airdrie, especially in the 1st half of the season.

Haven’t looked at it but isn’t Kane the only striker to score for us in 4 months? The last being jak’s only goals of the season at the end of December.

So regardless of who we have had upfront, our strikers have only scored 3 goals so far this year.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 30 Apr 06:56

You definitely didn`t think Todorov was worth keeping last season.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neilholland999  
Date:   Tue 30 Apr 07:35

To be fair to Berkey, he is not saying we should have kept Todorov. He is stating facts about our inept strikeforce.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 30 Apr 07:46

Maybe Todorov has had more chances to score than our strikers.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Tue 30 Apr 08:09

Players Raith signed in the last 2 years, who have previously worked with either Potter or Murray:

Dabrowski
Scott McGill
Callum Smith
Kyle Turner
Shaun Byrne
Lee Ashcroft
Dylan Easton

I’ve probably missed some too. Let’s stop pretending we’re the only team signing players that our staff have worked with before.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 30 Apr 08:18

Had we kept Todorov I doubt he would have scored goals in our current setup either.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 30 Apr 08:18

I doubt prime Alan Shearer would.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 30 Apr 08:22

Our goalscoring record this season is pretty embarrassing honestly
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 30 Apr 09:07

Maybe Sutherland could step up and do a job for the team. Appreciate he is young but he has got to be given a chance sometime.

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 30 Apr 10:28

Quote:

Andrew283, Tue 30 Apr 08:22

Our goalscoring record this season is pretty embarrassing honestly

You must be easily embarrassed. Most of the teams outwith the top 3 have scored 40 odd goals. Only Ayr have reached 50 goals. They`ve let in 58 though.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 30 Apr 10:36

We`re 8th in the table for goals scored, only 2 and 4 goals behind Morton and Airdrie.

However, its definitely an area we must improve in.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 30 Apr 10:48

It`s hard to believe that we have only conceded 45 goals (5 fewer than PT) in 35 games despite losing 8 in two successive games at home to Morton and QP.

Post Edited (Tue 30 Apr 11:09)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 30 Apr 14:33

Toddy popped up with some important goals last season and was the best forward player we had in the air. I did think we needed better at this level but we didn’t get better so in hindsight he would have been a better option than McCann and wighton.

Are you that surprised wee eck when we are solely set up to be tight at the back and in doing so have sacrificed most of our attacking intentions?

We’ve not scored or looked like scoring in plenty games this season.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 30 Apr 14:42

Considering we had no regular centre backs available a lot of the time I think it`s a remarkable defensive record. The two games where we lost 8 goals were an aberration. For some reason in those games we failed to defend the box - an area where we have been very strong under McPake regardless of personnel. The challenge for next season is to find a way of increasing our attacking options without sacrificing defensive solidity.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: KnebworthPar  
Date:   Tue 30 Apr 19:17

Fisher, Breen, Bene and Comrie is a decent defensive base.

Midfield with Otoo, Hamilton and KRH again pretty decent.

Up front is where McPake will earn his crust this summer I feel. Not convinced by any of our front line although I live in hope that MCann will recognise he’s a brick sh!!thouse and start to bully the front line, there’s a player in there.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 May 06:32

Our biggest issue was scoring last year. When we went 1 down you never saw us getting back in the game.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 May 08:22

The Courier confirms there are 4 players who are out of contract - Allan, Little, Jakubiak and Fenton.

Otoo doesn`t need an op on his injury and should be fit for pre-season training.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 May 08:55

Quote:

wee eck, Wed 1 May 08:22

The Courier confirms there are 4 players who are out of contract - Allan, Little, Jakubiak and Fenton.

Otoo doesn`t need an op on his injury and should be fit for pre-season training.

I`d let them all go. They are decent squad players but we need better
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 May 09:19

Letting Allan and Fenton go would be a mistake. Fenton deserves his chance when Edwards departs.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 May 09:30

Allan could be a useful player if he`s scoring free kicks and taking decent corners.
Good assist for Bene against Caley too, maybe he can properly step up.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 May 09:44

Quote:

wee eck, Tue 30 Apr 10:48

It`s hard to believe that we have only conceded 45 goals (5 fewer than PT) in 35 games despite losing 8 in two successive games at home to Morton and QP.

Inverness have the second best defensive record in the league, but are in the relegation playoff spot.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 May 10:08

Inverness must have lost a lot of games by one goal. 4 clubs have a worse goal difference than them yet they are 9th. Despite (or maybe because of) its competitiveness it`s not a particularly high-scoring league; 2.75 goals a game I reckon.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JamesAndrew74  
Date:   Wed 1 May 10:17

Quote:

desparado, Wed 1 May 09:19

Letting Allan and Fenton go would be a mistake. Fenton deserves his chance when Edwards departs.

How does he “deserve” his chance? Presumably you know his abilities more than the management team? They certainly don’t agree he does.

He’s played literally no football in 2/3 years, albeit hindered by Covid but if the manager thought he didn’t have the ability to step in when we had very few fit defenders I’d suggest he likely isn’t good enough.

Interested to know why you would give a contract to a player that’s not broken into any 1st team?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: king lad  
Date:   Wed 1 May 10:55

Fenton is behind Edwards who has almost played every minute of every game this season and is one of the top fullbacks in the league. I don`t think he`s really had the chance to step in other than the Queen`s park game where he was forced to play at CB and performed pretty well given the circumstances. Obviously the management team have a better understanding of what he`s like but at 20 he still has a lot of room to grow.

Allan has shown good form towards the end of the season but I`m not sure it`ll be enough to earn him a new contract, especially since Chalmers has another year.

Jakubiak hasn`t done enough for me on a consistent basis, unplayable in the Dundee united game but has been missing in many other matches and struggles to score as well.

Little I`m not fussed about either way, think I`d rather try and bring another keeper in to push Mehmet more

Post Edited (Wed 01 May 11:03)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 May 11:15

To say Fenton doesn`t deserve a new deal is very harsh. He`s been sitting on the bench waiting patiently behind the best LB in the league. New deal.

In the right midfield Allan contributes. New deal.

Not sure about Jakubiak. Some very decent performances but they`re the exception rather than the rule.

Definitely need a stronger back up keeper and looks like the manager doesn`t rate Little?

However, all this depends on where we think we want to be next season

Post Edited (Wed 01 May 11:16)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Wed 1 May 11:29

Allan has looked a lot better recently after a few less than impressive outings - as long as he isn`t paired up with Chalmers - and one in the team with an excellent delivery from corners.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 May 13:07

It`s been a tough season, for sure. I am sure there are ongoing conversations with out of contract players. I think as a principle at the club, we want to develop players and run with a smaller squad. On that basis, we need players who are not prone to injury, and we should be looking to keep players on that are still developing.

Post Edited (Wed 01 May 13:44)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 May 13:15

I`d be very surprised if talks haven`t already started with Allan and jakubiak, both are proven to be able to compete at this level,
.better the devil you know as you could get someone in and it wouldn`t be an improvement.

McPake is bound to look at it in the sense " can I work with these players and get a result?" If he can`t then what`s the point?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: thebear  
Date:   Wed 1 May 14:29

Interesting courier says 4 players out of contract, if we let 4 go we need 4 goalscorers. But if we keep a couple we have less choices. Perhaps we sell or loan others, but based on this year who is going to want them. A managers dilema. But still think we need two attacking midfielders and three proven scorers.
Good luck Mr mcpake.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 May 14:40

Not seen much of Little or Fenton but I probably wouldn`t renew any of them. Harsh I know.

The younger two I would say need to get out and play regular first team football for their careers.

Jakubiak and Allan just haven`t done enough for me, especially Jakubiak. He`s the only forward we can easily move on and replace with something different.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 May 21:38

If we want to really go for it next season we need to be more aggressive with our approach.

I just can’t see us being up there fighting for promotion with Fenton and Allan as constants in our first team. Possibly bench options but I’d be looking for stronger.

We’d need experience to support the likes of Todd as well to try take the pressure off.

That being said it’s likely they’ll get new deals as it aligns with the whole ethos around the club of nurturing young talent.

Jakubiak could be one of those where you let go and regret it because you can’t get in somebody better. He’s showed glimpses of what he can do when on form so it’s whether the boss decides to put faith in him.

On paper, a fit Wighton, Kane (if we were to acquire) and Jakubiak is not a bad front line.

Post Edited (Wed 01 May 21:38)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBA  
Date:   Wed 1 May 22:11

For me, Little and Fenton go. Jakubiak I`d keep. For Allan, it`s a tough one - I`d prefer him to Chalmers, but he`s got another year. If we can shift Joe, I`d keep Allan - if not, we let him go.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: fcda  
Date:   Wed 1 May 22:22

I wouldn`t be looking at these 4 and thinking that letting them go will free up wages for 4 quality replacements.

Jakubiak may be on decent wage but I doubt the others are, so you`re only going to get replacements of a similar level. You could of course upgrade by spending the wage on just 2 players, but squad depth was a big concern last season, even before the injuries hit.

Not easy.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 May 22:38

I also think letting Allan and particularly Fenton go would not exactly be the best for morale of our up and coming youngsters. Seeing someone patiently waiting for his chance then being let go. If he was good enough for a regular spot on the bench then he deserves his chance..

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 May 23:40

Quote:

desparado, Wed 1 May 22:38

I also think letting Allan and particularly Fenton go would not exactly be the best for morale of our up and coming youngsters. Seeing someone patiently waiting for his chance then being let go. If he was good enough for a regular spot on the bench then he deserves his chance..

Allan’s 24 now. He’s older than Todd, Hamilton and Otoo - who are all ahead of him in the pecking order for his position. He’s also had plenty of chances this season and hasn’t really performed well in more than a handful of games. Fenton’s possibly worth a deal, if they think he has what it takes. But he’s 20 now and if he’s not considered to be ready for first team football with us, then it might be best for everyone if he moved on. We can’t just extend contracts because players have been here for a while.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bucuresti Par  
Date:   Thu 2 May 07:19

Of the 4 out of contract, I`d keep Allan, alongside Otoo or Hamilton I think he can be effective, I don`t suppose he`s on a big wage either. Fenton I`d also probably keep, given that Edwards is likely away and we don`t have another left back, wing-back, so would keep him as backup. Jakubiak hasn`t done enough for me, so given we need to freshen up the attack, he leaves to make some space. Little, not sure, we need a backup keeper, ideally a young one who won`t be on much, so might be worth extending.

We definitely need to try and move on some of the contracted players as well though, which won`t be easy. I`d attempt to find another club for Chalmers, as I`d like to add at least one new central midfielder. Wighton might be another that would interest other clubs, if we could find a better alternative. O`Halloran I`d also move on if I could.

Of the loans, I`d be happy if any of MFW, Moffat, Summers or Kane returned. MLW, Benjamin and Holmes, no thanks.

I`d expect that both the Sutherlands and Andrew Tod to be more involved next year as well, possibly some of the other youngsters as well.

If we could add a couple of experienced, quality players

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 2 May 07:25

Of the 4 out of contract, I`d keep Allan, alongside Otoo or Hamilton I think he can be effective, I don`t suppose he`s on a big wage either. Fenton I`d also probably keep, given that Edwards is likely away and we don`t have another left back, wing-back, so would keep him as backup. Jakubiak hasn`t done enough for me, so given we need to freshen up the attack, he leaves to make some space. Little, not sure, we need a backup keeper, ideally a young one who won`t be on much, so might be worth extending.

We definitely need to try and move on some of the contracted players as well though, which won`t be easy. I`d attempt to find another club for Chalmers, as I`d like to add at least one new central midfielder. Wighton might be another that would interest other clubs, if we could find a better alternative. I`d also move O`Halloran on if there is a taker.

Of the loans, I`d be happy if any of MFW, Moffat, Summers or Kane returned. Benjamin, MWH and Holmes, no thanks.

I`d expect the Sutherlands and Andrew Tod, if not a few of the other youngsters to be more regularly involved next season, so squad size (hopefully!) won`t be an issue. If we could add a few quality players with experience in the Championship/Premiership we should be very competitive. A left back, a striker, a central midfielder and 1 or 2 genuine wide forwards/wingers - Logan Chalmers would be lovely or whoever is furthest down the pecking order at Raith as they seem to have an excess of these guys.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 2 May 07:56

I would expect the likes of tod and sutherlands to go on loan for the whole season, they need a full season of playing against men.

I also expect the window the follow the same as last year one or two of the loans made permanent then not much activity until other squads have finalised and we pick up the scraps. I will be surprised and disappointed if allan Is let go.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: incognito  
Date:   Thu 2 May 08:59

I can assure you the amounts offered for Edwards is significantly more than £100,000 in fact its more than the amount we received for Jackson Longridge! The talks of offers for Otoo and Todd as well would certainly add coffers in the bank for a rebuild but for me the would cost too much to replace so would do everything we can to keep them.

As for £1,000,000 in "the hole" that`s not a bad thing like you are insinuating, the club are investing a lot of money into improving the overall running of the club along with Rosyth and other facilities and to calm you even further the Germans have plugged said hole with their own finances.

I fully expect the club to strengthen for next season and will have planned for a push after a season of limited spending to maintain our position in the championship.

Yes we have a several below par players on contract for next season but I wouldn`t imagine McCann and Chalmers will be on big money that would prevent us from signing replacements in that area on better money. The only biggish wage bill I would imagine would be Mehmet and in all honesty he isn`t the worst keeper for the Championship (We won the league with Chris butter finger Smith!) but a loan GK from the Scottish Prem or English league 1/2 would be welcomed.

I would be happy if we kept the following with the addition of a striker, central midfieler and defensive cover.

Mehmet

Fisher
Bene
Comrie
Breen
MFW (if possible)
MWH (if possible)

Todd (if possible)
Otoo (if possible)
Allan
Hamilton
KRH

Jak
Kane (depending if he can stay fit)

The rest are surplus or can go back to their parent clubs as we can get other loanees of the same caliber.

"Did you see what happened to the magic car?

It turned into a street!"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 2 May 13:17

We need to sort our goal scoring. Simple as that. 1 league game left and our top scorer has 5 league goals this season. That’s a horrendous stat.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 2 May 13:26

Quote:

par-91, Thu 2 May 13:17

We need to sort our goal scoring. Simple as that. 1 league game left and our top scorer has 5 league goals this season. That’s a horrendous stat.

It`s frankly pathetic
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Thu 2 May 13:27

Got to move heaven and earth this summer to get a proven goalscorer. Problem is, every club wants one of them, and they usually aren`t cheap.

"A smile might be good!"
"Nothing to smile about in my life"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 2 May 13:34

Quote:

Row_ZZ, Thu 2 May 13:27

Got to move heaven and earth this summer to get a proven goalscorer. Problem is, every club wants one of them, and they usually aren`t cheap.

We could sign brian Graham from Partick and he would still only be in single figures next year, it`s a bigger issue than just a proven goalscorer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 2 May 13:43

The player who scored the 5 goals is Craig Wighton and he only started 13 games but he`s not good enough for the Championship despite also being our top scorer in League 1 last season. Stats can be so deceiving.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 2 May 13:55

Pathetic/embarrassing. Calm yourselves down.

2 years ago aye fair enough. Not now.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Thu 2 May 14:02

Wighton and other strikers will score provided they get the service ,
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 2 May 14:19

I agree with what some folk right now I think any striker what struggle to score we don`t create enough chances and we don`t dominate games either.

That was one of the things that impressed me about the reserve Cup final for large periods of the game we kept Livingston pinned inside there half the first team never does that.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 2 May 14:33

In the recent games we lost we definitely made chances. Our strikers aren`t clinical enough. Midweek v Airdrie in March springs to mind. Loads missed and we go in 1 down to their only real move of note. QP at home last week we made 4 great chances in the first half and missed them all.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: shellypar  
Date:   Thu 2 May 14:57

I reckon we try do to jakubiak what newcastle did with joelinton

Joelinton always had talent but couldnt score in a brothel, now in a central midfield role box to box he has excelled

No harm in trying it with jak as the boy has ability no?

COYP
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 2 May 15:22

Can`t see Jak offering anything in midfield, his strength is his hold up play, running the channels and being direct. His decision making is not good, his final pass, cross or shot is normally poor.

He`s a forward, either wide or centrally with a partner. I have some sympathy for all of our forwards, given how poor the service was in several games. But he still didn`t produce enough goals or assists, we need to change at least one forward and he`s the easiest to do as he`s out of contract.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: shellypar  
Date:   Thu 2 May 15:33

Quote:

Bucuresti Par, Thu 2 May 15:22

Can`t see Jak offering anything in midfield, his strength is his hold up play, running the channels and being direct. His decision making is not good, his final pass, cross or shot is normally poor.

He`s a forward, either wide or centrally with a partner. I have some sympathy for all of our forwards, given how poor the service was in several games. But he still didn`t produce enough goals or assists, we need to change at least one forward and he`s the easiest to do as he`s out of contract.

I guess thats true, but i have friends from newcastle and newcastle fans who wpuld probably say the same thing, its always worth the risk i would say, but i fully get what you are saying bud

COYP
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: WarringtonPar  
Date:   Thu 2 May 16:36

Quote:

shellypar, Thu 2 May 14:57

Joelinton always had talent but couldnt score in a brothel, now in a central midfield role box to box he has excelled

Older viewers will remember Liverpool did the same with Ray Kennedy in the 70’s. What’s to lose by trying him there I think it’s a good idea.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Thu 2 May 17:10

Quote:

WarringtonPar, Thu 2 May 16:36

Quote:

shellypar, Thu 2 May 14:57

Older viewers will remember Liverpool did the same with Ray Kennedy in the 70’s. What’s to lose by trying him there I think it’s a good idea.

He`s out of contract in the summer so you aren`t going to extend it to conduct an experiment. His injury record isn`t good and that won`t improve by putting him in the middle.His passing isn`t great and I don`t see what attributes would make him a potential midfielder?
Peter Grant tried to put Dom Thomas in the middle but square pegs in round holes don`t work.It wouldn`t do the confidence of your existing midfielders much good either if they were making way.Apart from that I think it`s a great idea!🙂
He has shown he is a handful up front on his day but not one I would trust to perform consistently over the course of a season.He has made 26 league appearances(some as sub granted)and only scored in one of them, which says it all really.It`s not as if he has made up for those shortcomings with an abundance of assists.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 2 May 18:52

"but I wouldn`t imagine McCann and Chalmers will be on big money that would prevent us from signing replacements in that area on better money."

Given that we paid actual cash money for Chalmers, while we were in the Championship and from another Championship club, I`d have thought he`d be one of our higher earners. McCann won`t be on a King`s ransom but he`s had his contract extended a few times, presumably with a wage bump each time. He`ll be on an average wage for us I`d imagine.

"Pathetic/embarrassing. Calm yourselves down."

I think having a top scorer on 5 goals is pretty embarrassing tbh. When we were relegated from the old Premier League in the 1990s, Davie Moyes was our top scorer on a similar number and that was embarrassing enough for a side who were ultimately out of their depth. For a team supposed to be challenging for the top 4 that`s pretty grim.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 2 May 18:54

I wouldn`t be too bothered if we had more goals and they were already out, but it just highlights our weakness going forward.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 2 May 19:24

Quote:

kelty_par, Thu 2 May 18:52

"but I wouldn`t imagine McCann and Chalmers will be on big money that would prevent us from signing replacements in that area on better money."

Given that we paid actual cash money for Chalmers, while we were in the Championship and from another Championship club, I`d have thought he`d be one of our higher earners. McCann won`t be on a King`s ransom but he`s had his contract extended a few times, presumably with a wage bump each time. He`ll be on an average wage for us I`d imagine.

"Pathetic/embarrassing. Calm yourselves down."

I think having a top scorer on 5 goals is pretty embarrassing tbh. When we were relegated from the old Premier League in the 1990s, Davie Moyes was our top scorer on a similar number and that was embarrassing enough for a side who were ultimately out of their depth. For a team supposed to be challenging for the top 4 that`s pretty grim.

You`re honestly embarrassed by that? Strange life you must lead

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 2 May 19:25

Our top goalscorer in league games is McCann, wighton and Todd with a grand total of 4 goals each.

Wighton been out injured for large chunks of the season and same for todd. McCann hasn’t scored for 5 months nor looked like scoring in that time and I include a penalty in there.

I thought jak was excellent against United but outside of that he had 10 good minutes against Ayr and the rest has been distinctly meh. I’d let go and roll the dice we can get better.

We need at least 2 of the 4 under contract players to leave to see much change in the forward line. Here’s hoping we can do it or it’s a long hard season watching us miss the target and it’s not good for the youth policy having these more experienced players warming the bench seeing thier contracts out.

Would only take Walcott back of all the loans, summers and Moffat struggled to make any impact bar 1 or 2 games.

Incognito care to elaborate? Didn’t we get 200k- 300k for Longridge? Wonder if they will confirm the fee this time, it always seems to be undisclosed….

Post Edited (Thu 02 May 19:29)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 2 May 21:01

If Jakubiak is let go I confidently predict in around 9 months time we`ll be told we should`ve kept him.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 2 May 21:18

Quote:

da_no_1, Thu 2 May 21:01

If Jakubiak is let go I confidently predict in around 9 months time we`ll be told we should`ve kept him.

Same goes for Allan.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: alwaysaPar  
Date:   Thu 2 May 21:38

Quote:

da_no_1, Thu 2 May 21:01

Do you do lottery numbers as well ?? 🤪🤣
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 2 May 21:43

You think Dundee were thinking that this season? They didn’t think he could make the step up and tbh he had a better goal scoring season with Dundee when they went up.

Jak is a middle of the road lower half championship player 95% of the time. Yes he could be slightly better in a team that attacks more but not that much better as his finishing and deciding making is really quite poor for this level.

If he could turn in that performance against United maybe 6-8 times a season then you would say let’s try and keep him. He doesn’t and that’s why we’re having this debate, he hasn’t done enough.

Mcpake might think 100 minutes of good football this season is enough for him tho.

Allan is 24 now, we’re talking about keeping him as no one else can take a decent corner or put a decent cross in. Another who prob needs a change of scenery and who hasn’t done enough, we don’t owe those who have been with us a long time a living I’m afraid. If chalmers leaves then he’s a cheap option for the bench at best.

Post Edited (Thu 02 May 21:47)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 2 May 21:52

Both jakubiak and Allan are proven championship players, Allan has potential, I suspect both either have already been offered deals or will be soon.

If mcpake cannot work with players like that and make them competitive then he is the issue not the players.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 2 May 22:23

"You`re honestly embarrassed by that? Strange life you must lead"

Why would I be embarrassed? It`s not me playing professional football. Strange life indeed, taking one word and using a different one in a retort. I think if you asked a coach (off the record, although some would happily say it in public) at any level to sum up their goalscoring exploits in a season where a team nearly finished in the top 4 of their division but whose top scorer was only on 5 goals, then "embarrassing" and "pathetic" would be amongst the replies. As would "Clearly we need to do more", "it simply isn`t good enough" and various other statements of that nature.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 2 May 22:31

Quote:

weemike, Thu 2 May 21:52

Both jakubiak and Allan are proven championship players, Allan has potential, I suspect both either have already been offered deals or will be soon.

If mcpake cannot work with players like that and make them competitive then he is the issue not the players.

I thought Jakubiak had a few injuries this year but he has made 26 league appearances for us.His career began in 2013 and only once has he played more games in a season, so maybe we were lucky! He has never hit double figures for goals in a season and has a total of 29 in 209 games.His best league goalscoring season was 6 with Dundee.There is nothing there to suggest that all of a sudden he will start banging them in.I wouldn`t rely on him to help us challenge for promotion or stay fit for a season.

Allan is 24 now and made his debut 6 years ago-by this stage you are looking for more than potential imo.Steady enough player but I would have my doubts about him improving much or helping to take us to the next level.I think he would have benefitted from a decent loan spell earlier in his career.I know he went to Brechin but they were getting thrashed every week at the time so not sure if that helped his development.

Ultimately, if they go, it depends on who you replace them with.

Post Edited (Thu 02 May 22:31)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 2 May 22:41

Berkey we`ll see. You`ve got a track record of revisionism on here, pining after players you chased out the door previously. Todorov the latest in s long line. You don`t know what debate means. You just roll out the same stuff in every post.

I`ve never, not once, heard you say anything positive about the Pars.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 2 May 22:45

Again, both are proven championship players.
Allan has improved year on year since his debut and will hopefully continue to do so.

This quest for a striker who will bang goals in for fun is futile.

It`s formations and tactics that get more goals.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 2 May 22:54

Quote:

weemike, Thu 2 May 22:45

Allan has improved year on year since his debut and will hopefully continue to do so.

Jakubiak must have been playing in the wrong formation for all 12 clubs he has played for then? You don`t need him to bang in goals for fun but 25 out of 26 games without scoring isn`t going to cut the mustard.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 May 09:00

Quote:

parathletic, Thu 2 May 22:54

Quote:

weemike, Thu 2 May 22:45

Jakubiak must have been playing in the wrong formation for all 12 clubs he has played for then? You don`t need him to bang in goals for fun but 25 out of 26 games without scoring isn`t going to cut the mustard.

25/26 without scoring is a bad return, but he isn`t alone in that regard. This runs deeper than a lack of potent goalscorer. As I`ve said before Brian Graham would struggle in this team set up. I personally don`t think we can transfer ourselves out of this problem.
We can be tighter at the back and be the 1 nil side. But it doesn`t leave much room for error.

Better being more expansive.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 May 10:14

For me, it`s about how you statistically improve your chances for the season factoring in the stated culture of the club to develop youth and the money available .

JM prefers a smaller squad - that means you need;

A. Players who are not injury prone or who can respond to treatments
B. Players who can perform consistently

On culture;

A. What players have potential and who wants to improve. At what age do you decide they will not improve much further
B. To develop youth, you need experience and sensible heads around thecsquad. What balance of older and experienced players do you keep to work within the team. Training is more than formal training by coaches. It can be informal by younger players watching and interacting with the older players and learning from them.
C. How the squad interacts and supports each other. How good is morale. We have had a difficult season and the management team would have been able to observe players behaviours as a result. They will be able to assess how they have reacted to that, what lessons have been learned and how they have worked together as a team to deal with those situations.

It`s not always the best players who make the best team. Using the analogy of a car. You can buy all the best parts from different vehicles but when you put them together it won`t work. If you get the team right and the players within it to perform the role to the benefit of the team, then it becomes more than the sum of its parts.

On that basis would be reticent to say someone is not good enough. You dont have to be the best player in the team, but the best player to perform the role within the team to achieve the desired result.

At the end of the day, i think contributions to the team do not just come from playing on a Saturday afternoon.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Fri 3 May 10:47

I agree India par and we have some recent examples of players moved on, who didn`t do much for us, but are now doing well in other teams.

that suggests that either,
- they weren`t suited to the role being asked of them,
- the people round about them, that they needed to perform to enable them to perform, weren`t suited to the role being asked of them,
- and/or the general set up, coaching and tactics didn`t work to get the best of the players available/compete against the opposition set up
- and/or we just aren`t as good as most of the other teams in the league (which even with injuries this season, based on my opening sentence, I don`t believe)

so I think I`d add to your post by saying that the common denominator in all one the above is the manager and coaching staff - and to be successful, they have to be successful - given
- they decide on recruitment / fit of players
- they set and promote the culture and ethos within the club
- they man-manage the team (individually and as a collectively)
- and they set the style of play, tactics, roles on the pitch etc

I also agree with your last sentence, "At the end of the day, i think contributions to the team do not just come from playing on a Saturday afternoon."
but I would caveat that by saying that playing on a Saturday afternoon is when it really matters and should be their primary measure.
at my work, 80% of my final rating is based on how I perform with our customers/clients and 20% is on the other internal/team stuff - and I think a similar breakdown for the entire playing, management and coaching staff would be fair

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 May 12:21

Quote:

Allan is not proven championship level

Post Edited (Fri 03 May 12:25)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 May 12:33

I`ve not attended enough games this season to really comment, but it seems odd to me that we have a number of strikers and forwards who are unable to consistently find the back of the net.

There are a few potential reasons:

1. They`re not good enough
2. They`re not trying
3. They`re not playing to their strengths
4. The delivery/opportunity isn`t there
5. Loss/lack of confidence

I`ll say straight away that number 2 is scored off. Those guys are clearly trying. Although we`ve struggled this season, I`d say the opportunities to score have been there so I`m crossing off 4. That leaves 1, 3 and 5. I`d suggest it`s hard to say if they`re not good enough. With the likes of Jak you can look at his history at other clubs for an indication. We can`t do that so much with Wighton and McCann. But let`s say there`s a question mark against that one. Lack of confidence is definitely there for McCann. He works tirelessly but the goals aren`t coming. So that brings me to 3. Are we failing to score because of the formation and/or general tactics?

Being honest, I think there`s room for improvement with our strikers, but that improvement will only happen if the team can play to their strengths. If you do that then hopefully that resolves the lack of confidence too. If it doesn`t work then it suggests the players are either simply not good enough or just not a good fit for this team.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 May 12:36

Quote:

Andrew283, Fri 3 May 12:21

Quote:

Allan is not proven championship level

He`s held his own this season
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 May 12:42

Quote:

DBP, Fri 3 May 10:47

I agree India par and we have some recent examples of players moved on, who didn`t do much for us, but are now doing well in other teams.

that suggests that either,
- they weren`t suited to the role being asked of them,
- the people round about them, that they needed to perform to enable them to perform, weren`t suited to the role being asked of them,
- and/or the general set up, coaching and tactics didn`t work to get the best of the players available/compete against the opposition set up
- and/or we just aren`t as good as most of the other teams in the league (which even with injuries this season, based on my opening sentence, I don`t believe)

so I think I`d add to your post by saying that the common denominator in all one the above is the manager and coaching staff - and to be successful, they have to be successful - given
- they decide on recruitment / fit of players
- they set and promote the culture and ethos within the club
- they man-manage the team (individually and as a collectively)
- and they set the style of play, tactics, roles on the pitch etc

I also agree with your last sentence, "At the end of the day, i think contributions to the team do not just come from playing on a Saturday afternoon."
but I would caveat that by saying that playing on a Saturday afternoon is when it really matters and should be their primary measure.
at my work, 80% of my final rating is based on how I perform with our customers/clients and 20% is on the other internal/team stuff - and I think a similar breakdown for the entire playing, management and coaching staff would be fair

Those are good points DBP.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 May 13:48

On the question of goalscoring here are some interesting stats taken from the SPFL website (%s are mine!) The first numbers are shots, followed by shots on target, expressed as % of total shots; the next numbers are goals scored, expressed as % of shots on target:-

1 Dundee United 443 178 (40.2%) 69 (38.8%)
2 Queen`s Park 353 144 (40.8%) 48 (33.3%)
3 Morton 350 143 (40.9%) 42 (29.4%)
4= Airdrieonians 341 147 (43.1%) 44 (29.9%)
4= Partick Thistle 341 153 (44.9%) 62 (40.5%)
6 Pars 337 124 (36.8%) 40 (32.2%)
7 Ayr United 318 140 (44.0%) 50 (35.7%)
8 Raith Rovers 313 149 (46.6%) 53 (36.3%)
9 ICT 304 128 (42.1%) 38 (29.7%)
10 Arbroath 250 99 (39.6%) 35 (35.4%)

They don`t make happy reading for Pars` fans and suggest that, not only are we shot-shy, our shooting is not very accurate!

ETA - Tabular format doesn`t reproduce when posted but hopefully you get the gist!

Post Edited (Fri 03 May 13:57)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 May 15:05

Incidentally, only 9 players have reached double figures in goals scored and 3 of them play for Dundee United - Graham (20), Moult (17), Paton (16), Vaughan (13), Dowds, Muirhead, Watt (12 each), Fotheringham (11) and Thomas (10).

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Fri 3 May 18:37

These are very telling statistics, wee eck. They strongly suggest that we need to seek out some new forwards. The current bunch just don`t cut the mustard.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 May 20:32

Interesting stats wee eck as Kane becomes our top scorer with 5 league goals.

All our strikers have missed what we can call sitters at various points of this season, the stats suggest we have roughly the amount of shots as other mid table teams but as we know our strikers are far from clinical and show some really poor finishing.

Feels about right, how many times have we had some good chances when at 0-0 and then regretted not taking them this season….

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 May 20:40

Quote:

Berkey, Fri 3 May 20:32

Interesting stats wee eck as Kane becomes our top scorer with 5 league goals.

All our strikers have missed what we can call sitters at various points of this season, the stats suggest we have roughly the amount of shots as other mid table teams but as we know our strikers are far from clinical and show some really poor finishing.

Feels about right, how many times have we had some good chances when at 0-0 and then regretted not taking them this season….

Your right Berkey I`ve read about how we don`t create chances which I don`t understand to be fair. I think we create chances it`s just our strikers aren`t up to the task.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 May 23:45

Get a deal in front of Kane. He`s quality.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 4 May 02:40

A fit Kane would make a big difference next season, he’s miles ahead of anything else we have on the books.

We’ve had most of a full squad for the last few months and we didn’t manage to win any of the final 5 games against teams around us and a few we were waiting on coming back from injury have struggled to make any impact.

Big changes need to be made this summer…

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 4 May 08:23

A lot of talk about how a decent striker would struggle to score in this team. Chris Kane managed 5 goals in 10 games though, which seems to disprove that theory a bit. Could our midfielders create more chances? Absolutely. But a good striker can also find a way to score out of nothing and create space/chances for themselves.

If there’s any way we can keep Kane for next season, we need to do it. He’s the kind of player we should be offering a very good deal to.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Sat 4 May 08:30

Those 2 goals last night may have put his price up a bit more, hopefully the same applies to Edwards.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 4 May 09:11

Quote:

par-91, Sat 4 May 08:23

A lot of talk about how a decent striker would struggle to score in this team. Chris Kane managed 5 goals in 10 games though, which seems to disprove that theory a bit. Could our midfielders create more chances? Absolutely. But a good striker can also find a way to score out of nothing and create space/chances for themselves.

If there’s any way we can keep Kane for next season, we need to do it. He’s the kind of player we should be offering a very good deal to.

I agree we should sign him, but let`s not get carried away, 2 of his 5 goals were absolute howlers, and 1 was a penalty, he`s still gotta finish though and he did that well for the 2nd last night.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 4 May 09:18

Cameron Harper from Inverness might be a good replacement for Edwards, if he goes. Still pretty young at 22 but experienced having played 160 games for ICT. He played every league game this season (like Edwards for us) and managed 9 assists.

No idea how realistic that is.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Sat 4 May 09:47

Would love to see us keep Kane but I wouldn’t be surprised to see premier league teams looking at him. Anton Dowds would be a decent addition and is probably the most realistic shout for a proven goalscorer in the championship. I can’t see us having much chance of attracting Paton, who will probably have many Premiership teams watching him now. The only other one I think could score a good few would be Burrell at Cove. 21 league goals for a poor Cove team is a decent return.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 4 May 13:25

Not convinced Kane would have many premiership suiters. St Johnstone happy to let him come to us despite fighting it out to avoid the relegation playoffs.

Injury record a bit suspect as well, it’s a gamble same as it would be for us that he would stay fit.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 4 May 15:56

Looks like Walcott won’t be coming back, just sent his farewells on X ten minutes ago.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 4 May 16:03

Saw that berry, will be interesting to see where he ends up if he leaves Cardiff. Even as a young player in their under 23 team he would be earning 4x anything we could offer.

Anyone know when contracts expire for the likes of Allan and Jak? Will it be a quiet few weeks or do we expect announcements shortly?

Post Edited (Sat 04 May 17:56)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 4 May 16:08

I`d have him back but if he`s still got family in Essex then he may prefer a club in England. He`d also command better wages.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 4 May 17:23

That boy would stroll the ScotPrem, could easily end up with a big club down south.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 4 May 19:52

Only slight glimmer of hope for me re: signing MFW is that I think when he came in JMcP said something along the lines of, we hoped to move for him in the summer but because of the injuries looked at getting him in sooner.

That has probably changed with him coming in and looking quite so comfortable though! Could get an SPL team or get a decent move/loan in England.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 4 May 20:02

Did KRH and Otoo not make similar goodbye type announcements this time last year as well?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars Athletic  
Date:   Sat 4 May 20:20

Quote:

Jeffery, Sat 4 May 19:52

Only slight glimmer of hope for me re: signing MFW is that I think when he came in JMcP said something along the lines of, we hoped to move for him in the summer but because of the injuries looked at getting him in sooner.

That has probably changed with him coming in and looking quite so comfortable though! Could get an SPL team or get a decent move/loan in England.

He is out of contract now. Hopefully we can sign him but can see there being other interested parties after some of his displays for us.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 4 May 21:56

MFW - He was okay, looks like he has some potential. I reckon people are jumping the gun a bit though. He wasn`t as great as people are making out, made quite a few errors that would get punished at a higher level. Still wouldn`t mind seeing him back
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bazzler1981  
Date:   Sat 4 May 22:16

There’s some real trippers on this forum like 🤣🤣

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 4 May 22:17

Quote:

red-star-par, Sat 4 May 21:56

MFW - He was okay, looks like he has some potential. I reckon people are jumping the gun a bit though. He wasn`t as great as people are making out, made quite a few errors that would get punished at a higher level. Still wouldn`t mind seeing him back

Tall, fast, can head, can tackle, chipped in with goals, adapted to professional 2nd tier football like water off a ducks back,

Yeah, everyone is jumping the gun. Probably gonna be £1 million player in a season or two.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 5 May 00:42

Quote:

EastEndTales, Sat 4 May 17:23

That boy would stroll the ScotPrem, could easily end up with a big club down south.

Possibly in the future but not on what I’ve seen so far ?

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 May 08:31

Quote:

weemike, Sat 4 May 22:17

Quote:

Tall, fast, can head, can tackle, chipped in with goals, adapted to professional 2nd tier football like water off a ducks back,

Yeah, everyone is jumping the gun. Probably gonna be £1 million player in a season or two.

I must have imagined his performances in the 5 nil drubbing from Morton, the 3 nil loss to Queens Park (although the whole team was missing those days), and the numerous errors in other games, mostly notably Patrick Thistle. Hardly water of a ducks back, more like a drowning duck at times. I`m not saying there`s not potential there, but he has a lot to learn. He`s not the next Franco Baresi as some would have you believe. Still wouldn`t mind seeing him back as I believe a decent couch could bring him on
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 May 09:02

I think it`s important to remember the circumstances when MFW arrived at the club. The team appeared to be low in confidence, struggling to win games, and a lot of injuries. Following the two heavy defeats we slowly steadied the ship. No player is going to come in and make an instant impact and turn us into a championship winning side. That`s more about teamwork and team performance as a whole. He took a little time to settle but often that is the sign of a good player. I am always suspicious of players who come in and put in a brilliant performance then fade away a few games later. The successes for me for MFW are that he improved the team when he came in, he has improved his own performances, he scored a couple of important goals, he adjusted to the championship well with alot of room to spare in terms of his potential. He came in, played his game, got on with it, rose to the challenge level and left I hope a better player, and helped keep us in the championship. He is mot the finished article, I am sure he would say that himself. I for one would love to have him back and another season in the championship would help him in my view. Sometimes you have to take a step back to take a step forward. He would get a lot of game time with us.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 May 09:09

The boy is a baller. We`ll be telling all our mates he played for us in ten years time when he`s made his big move to Bayern.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 May 09:12

Quote:

red-star-par, Sun 5 May 08:31

Quote:

weemike, Sat 4 May 22:17

Quote:

I must have imagined his performances in the 5 nil drubbing from Morton, the 3 nil loss to Queens Park (although the whole team was missing those days), and the numerous errors in other games, mostly notably Patrick Thistle. Hardly water of a ducks back, more like a drowning duck at times. I`m not saying there`s not potential there, but he has a lot to learn. He`s not the next Franco Baresi as some would have you believe. Still wouldn`t mind seeing him back as I believe a decent couch could bring him on

Is he gonna get an England Cap? No,
Is he gonna have a future in the game fulltime professionally? Without a doubt.

And for the 5-0 at EEP there is also the 0-0 at Tannadice.

He has all the attributes to have an exciting career in the game.

And could walk into any of the current championship squads Inc Dundee Utd and not be out of place.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bigfoot  
Date:   Sun 5 May 09:29

I think we need to be a bit realistic and remember this is not Football Manager.

The club have limited assets, and are developing a training ground, all of which reduces the cash available.

Given we don`t know who will be in the league yet, and therefore the likely gate receipts, I suspect a budget has yet to be finalised.

I fully expect there to be limited changes in players. The loanees will go back, perhaps we will be lucky and land a couple. But, unless some of the bigger wages are removed, I can`t see big changes.

Hopefully JMcP will change his tactics to suit the squad. Going 4-4-2 or possibly 4-5-1 would mean MOH and KRH competing for a place.

It would be similar for the centre midfielders. I think offloading Jake makes sense - especially if we can go 4-5-1.

If Edwards stays, we have Fenton as competition. Likewise Fisher and Comrie.

I get that it is not ideal, but we have to be honest and manage expectations.

Jesus saves, but Kirk nets rebound
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bigfoot  
Date:   Sun 5 May 09:52

Following the earlier post, an outline squad

Mehmet/?????

Comrie/??????, Benedictus/?????, Fisher/????, Edwards/Fenton

Chalmers or Allen

KRH/MOH Breen /Hamilton Otoo/Todd. ?????

McCann/Wighton ??????/MOH

Ideally we move Wigton on - great player, but too much of a luxury - we need guys who will put 100% in each match.
Jakubiak reminds me of Brewster - when he turns up (but that hasn`t occurred enough to justify extending his contract).

Jesus saves, but Kirk nets rebound
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 May 13:22

Quote:

Bigfoot, Sun 5 May 09:52

Following the earlier post, an outline squad

Mehmet/?????

Comrie/??????, Benedictus/?????, Fisher/????, Edwards/Fenton

Chalmers or Allen

KRH/MOH Breen /Hamilton Otoo/Todd. ?????

McCann/Wighton ??????/MOH

Ideally we move Wigton on - great player, but too much of a luxury - we need guys who will put 100% in each match.
Jakubiak reminds me of Brewster - when he turns up (but that hasn`t occurred enough to justify extending his contract).

Wighton does put 100% every game just because someone doesn`t run about like a headless chicken does not make them lazy
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 May 13:45

The comment about Wighton sums up today`s football fans; they prefer perspiration to inspiration.

I haven`t seen Breen suggested as a midfielder before. He can be quite skilful at centre back but I`m not sure if he`s mobile enough for midfield. I`m surprised A Tod and T Sutherland don`t feature. I think they`ll appear more next season.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 May 14:05

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 5 May 13:45

The comment about Wighton sums up today`s football fans; they prefer perspiration to inspiration.

I haven`t seen Breen suggested as a midfielder before. He can be quite skilful at centre back but I`m not sure if he`s mobile enough for midfield. I`m surprised A Tod and T Sutherland don`t feature. I think they`ll appear more next season.

Wouldn`t be surprised to see them loaned out.I don`t think Tod is ready for the Championship, that`s not to say he won`t be in the future but doesn`t have the physicality or decision making ability yet imo.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 May 14:27

Agree legend, I think if you ask anyone on this forum if they would rather have a fully fit wighton over a fully fit McCann playing I think everyone would agree and who they would want. It’s not always about running yourself into the ground, you need to do something with the ball.

The problem is that wighton is rarely fully fit.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 May 14:40

So are you in favour of moving Wighton on or not, Berkey? Hopefully his recent op has helped resolve his fitness issues. Clever the way you managed to work in another negative comment about McCann though.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 May 15:19

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 5 May 14:40

So are you in favour of moving Wighton on or not, Berkey? Hopefully his recent op has helped resolve his fitness issues. Clever the way you managed to work in another negative comment about McCann though.

With Wighton bring one of the higher earners , I can see why Berkey has brought up the fitness issues especially if the budget needs to be looked at
But also agree that a fully fit Wighton is going to be an asset to any team

And I don`t see how comparing both players on ability when both are fully fit as a negative, a 100% Wighton is on the team sheet before a 100% McCann everytime

All you are doing once again is deliberately targeting Berkeys opinions without giving any substance back to that opinion
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Sun 5 May 15:51

I think a fully fit wighton would be an asset and if we could get Kane along side those are two good front men .
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 May 16:08

Are you privy to the Pars` payroll, alwaysaPar? There are some remarkably well-informed posters on here. Wighton won`t be going anywhere because the manager obviously rates him and he`s still under contract.

Responding to someone`s post isn`t `targeting` them, it`s what a forum is all about. Are you `targeting` me? If you want to know my opinion I think Berkey `targets` McCann at every opportunity, just like he repeatedly tells us the manager is only interested in signing players he knows. It`s tiresome.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 May 16:10

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 5 May 16:08

Are you privy to the Pars` payroll, alwaysaPar? There are some remarkably well-informed posters on here. Wighton won`t be going anywhere because the manager obviously rates him and he`s still under contract.

Responding to someone`s post isn`t `targeting` them, it`s what a forum is all about. Are you `targeting` me? If you want to know my opinion I think Berkey `targets` McCann at every opportunity, just like he repeatedly tells us the manager is only interested in signing players he knows. It`s tiresome.

So many questions 🤣

It cant be that tiresome if you always feel the need to reply .....😉
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 May 16:13

CW has another year on his contract. He played part of the season with injury to help the team out. He has had an op, has time to fully recover, and hopefully get in a full preseason of training. I wouldn`t be writing him off just yet. I`m not sure if Kanes` interview comment at the end where he talked about the fans, hopefully being back again in numbers next season is an indication of how he is thinking with respect to playing here next season. I agree with the comments about both he and CW would be good up front next season. As far as McCann goes, he is still learning his trade and there is improvement in there yet but hopefully a season in the championship, a little bit more experience, a year older, a good preseason and he can kick on a bit.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bannerpar  
Date:   Sun 5 May 16:45

Even without this season`s injuries we`d be a bit short of being serious title contenders with the present squad. We`re also hamstrung by the number of players still under contract, a number of them while being championship level, you can`t see as being regulars in a league winning side. Space has to found for a few upgrades so unfortunately the out of contract players should be allowed to move on. The possible exception is Fenton who has looked as if he has potential on his few outings with the first team. The club has known about the interest in Edwards for some time now so presumably should know what they are planning for the left back situation.
I hope they offer terms to MFW and Kane and, if the budget allows MWH as I think they have improved us. My choice for leaving Benjamin, Holmes, Summers, Moffat, Little, Jakubiak, Allan. Coming in I would like to see a challenger for Mehmet, a midfielder and two forwards. 4 new signings would take us up to around 20/21 plus the younger boys and if we still had something left in the budget (and depending on how we parted company the last time) I would go for Wotherspoon again.
It will be interesting who becomes available but with limited scope for new signings there`s not much room for wrong choices so good luck to the management team with that.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 May 17:44

Personally I`m looking forward to seeing a fully fit Craig Wighton. The guy is a talent.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CrossPar  
Date:   Sun 5 May 17:45

Quote:

What I, and I am sure many others on here, find tiresome is you and DA_No1 continually trying to shoot him down. While I don`t agree with everything he says all the time, he often does make a lot of sense yet you pounce on him all the time like a couple of playground bullies. To his credit, he doesn`t seem to let it bother him. It`s just very wearing for the rest of us.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 May 18:06

Quote:

da_no_1, Sun 5 May 17:44

Personally I`m looking forward to seeing a fully fit Craig Wighton. The guy is a talent.

Totally agree da 👍
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 May 18:13

`What I, and I am sure many others on here, find tiresome is you and DA_No1 continually trying to shoot him down. While I don`t agree with everything he says all the time, he often does make a lot of sense yet you pounce on him all the time like a couple of playground bullies. To his credit, he doesn`t seem to let it bother him. It`s just very wearing for the rest of us.`

Poor wee Berkey! 😂😂😂

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG4  
Date:   Sun 5 May 18:46

Topic Originator: CrossPar
Date: Sun 5 May 17:45

Quote:

"What I, and I am sure many others on here, find tiresome is you and DA_No1 continually trying to shoot him down. While I don`t agree with everything he says all the time, he often does make a lot of sense yet you pounce on him all the time like a couple of playground bullies. To his credit, he doesn`t seem to let it bother him. It`s just very wearing for the rest of us."

This ^^^

Bullying and admin allow it.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 May 18:49

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 5 May 18:13

`What I, and I am sure many others on here, find tiresome is you and DA_No1 continually trying to shoot him down. While I don`t agree with everything he says all the time, he often does make a lot of sense yet you pounce on him all the time like a couple of playground bullies. To his credit, he doesn`t seem to let it bother him. It`s just very wearing for the rest of us.`

Poor wee Berkey! 😂😂😂

Wow, sanctimonious much 🤦‍♂️
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parfect69  
Date:   Sun 5 May 19:23

I would love to see a fully fit Wighton. I would also start me before McCann as a strike partner
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 May 19:30

Right let`s get one thing straight. I`ll never ever condone bullying in any shape or form. I disagree with just about everything Berkey posts but respect his right to post. I admit I find his repeating the same stuff over and over unnecessary to put it mildly but if he wants to waste energy doing it fair enough. Disagreeing with someone on a forum really is NOT bullying so get that in right in the sea. Certain posters repeatedly abuse me on here but I don`t take it seriously but I draw the line at being called a bully.

However, on Friday night I did go a bit too far. I apologise for that comment. It was said in the heat of the moment in response to him slagging off one of our players who, at the precise moment I read it, was getting urgent medical attention and looked in a really bad way. My post wasn`t very clever I`ll admit but there were circumstances to it at the time.

Might have a wee break from .net over the summer. It always gets a bit **** when the season ends.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 May 23:10

Wee eck I think wighton is okay and can contribute to a lower half championship club if fully fit but can’t be relied on as our main no1 striker, saying I would prefer him over McCann isn’t entirely the vote of confidence you would think. Only one looks capable of full time football.

For what it’s worth I don’t feel bullied, the usual 2 don’t attack me on the substance of what I post, it’s generally them just deflecting.

Don’t feel you need to apologise either DA no1, it’s an emotional game. End of the day we all want to see the pars hit their potential.

Post Edited (Sun 05 May 23:28)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 May 23:45

Not sure what I`m deflecting from but no hard feelings, Berkey. It just worries me that some of the lads come on here and the constant criticism won`t help their confidence.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 6 May 09:07

Bullying on .net😅😅😅

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBA  
Date:   Mon 6 May 10:13

Here`s the goalscoring stats for our strikers this season (adjusted based on mins played):

McCann - 7 goals - goal every 4.0 games
Wighton - 6 goals - goal every 2.7 games
Kane - 5 goals - goal every 1.9 games
Jakubiak - 2 goals - goal every 8.5 games

Not including Holmes (no goals) and Sutherland (1 goal).

For comparison, our attacking midfielders:

Todd - 4 goals - goal every 4.1 games
Moffat - 3 goals - goal every 5.5 games
Summers - 2 goals - goal every 7.0 games
Ritchie Hosler - 2 goals - goal every 5.5 games

So while our strikers aren`t scoring enough, neither are our forward thinking midfielders. As a lot have said, McPake needs to adjust the system to get more goals next year without question.

Considering Wighton played a lot of minutes carrying an injury this year, his stats are still decent for scoring and if we can get him fully fit, he`ll be an asset next year.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SevenTay  
Date:   Mon 6 May 11:13

Interesting stats DBA.

The stat that shocked me the most when I checked out Dunfermline`s Top Scorers on the BBC was that McCann had 54 shots on goal, way more than double the amount of any other player. His goal conversion rate was only 13% and Jakubiak`s was only 9%. Compare that to Wighton`s goal conversion rate of 30% and Kane`s at 22% it makes you wonder how many more goals might have been scored if instead of being greedy McCann had played the ball into the box. McCann only had 1 assist all season while Edwards had 8.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Mon 6 May 13:58

Alternatively, perhaps if McCann had someone to pass to rather than have to go it alone, his stats would be much better?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 6 May 14:03

We can have Nisbett back. He`s had a falling out at Millwall for not upholding the clubs values...of being massive racists.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 6 May 14:04

I remember McCann squaring the ball across the six-yard box in the recent game at Airdrie but there were no takers. It was his fault though for not picking someone out!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 6 May 16:04

Quote:

wee eck, Mon 6 May 14:04

I remember McCann squaring the ball across the six-yard box in the recent game at Airdrie but there were no takers. It was his fault though for not picking someone out!

Squaring the ball for nobody is the passers fault. Look up
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jealous Furniture  
Date:   Mon 6 May 16:07

Wighton is a clever player, good finisher and decent with his back to goal too, but I don`t think he has the physical attributes to play the lone(ish) striker role McPake likes.

Kane is a fairly similar player but he`s a lot stronger and more aggressive than Wighton.

Jak & McCann are both stronger and faster than Wighton but neither are as good at linking up, they seem to like to run at players from wide/deep and both are nowhere near as good at putting chances away.

It`s a real mixed bag of skillsets up front, I`m not sure any of them compliment each other that well either... it could be we need one more player for everything to fall in place, but I can`t see us having much joy with the strikers we have signed on for next season so far.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 6 May 16:14

`Squaring the ball for nobody is the passers fault. Look up`

What if no one`s got up the park as quickly as he did? Aren`t the players coached to support their team-mates and give them an option?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 6 May 16:37

Quote:

wee eck, Mon 6 May 16:14

What if no one`s got up the park as quickly as he did? Aren`t the players coached to support their team-mates and give them an option?

Then try and hold it up until support arrives, take your man on or attempt to win a foul or a corner. You have to try and show a bit of intelligence and pick out the right option.Awareness is part of being a good footballer.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Mon 6 May 16:47

Quote:

jake89, Mon 6 May 14:03

We can have Nisbett back. He`s had a falling out at Millwall for not upholding the clubs values...of being massive racists.

Would we still be entitled to a sell on % ;)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DJAS  
Date:   Mon 6 May 17:41

Quote:

parathletic, Mon 6 May 16:37

Quote:

wee eck, Mon 6 May 16:14

Then try and hold it up until support arrives, take your man on or attempt to win a foul or a corner. You have to try and show a bit of intelligence and pick out the right option.Awareness is part of being a good footballer.

Kane does this part extremely well.

Predictor league winner 2012/2013
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 6 May 17:55

We create chances it`s just our strikers don`t score that`s abundantly clear when you see the stats above. I would also argue we do create chances. We had 2 sitters from about 6 yards out the second last (or maybe last) home game both were ballooned over the bar.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 6 May 19:17

Quote:

cammypar 1995, Mon 6 May 17:55

We create chances it`s just our strikers don`t score that`s abundantly clear when you see the stats above. I would also argue we do create chances. We had 2 sitters from about 6 yards out the second last (or maybe last) home game both were ballooned over the bar.

This. We had 4 great chances in the first half v QP. None taken. Weirdly we were pretty rank on Friday night but took all 3 chances that came our way

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Thu 9 May 15:16

MWH is now away - said his goodbyes on X

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 9 May 15:23

Doesn`t he still have two years left on his contract with Livi?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 9 May 15:46

Quote:

wee eck, Thu 9 May 15:23

Doesn`t he still have two years left on his contract with Livi?

Something like that. 1 or 2.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DNCH  
Date:   Fri 10 May 05:43

I know we need a striker and a central defender but we have a glaring hole in the middle of midfield. Otoo is tremendous. Hamilton basically plays the same position, so does Joe Chalmers and Matty Todd is mercurial but also sometimes ineffective and kind-of a second striker.

Part of the reason our strikers (the few we have) don`t score is because there is a huge gap between sitting midfield and them and basically no one to carry the ball forward. I`d argue we need a player like Craig Sibbald (I know he`s unrealistic - style of play reference) or (Lord save me) Scott Arfield as much as forwards because we`ll get the same result if our only game is wide play into the box.

Thoughts?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 May 14:37

I think the squad is better suited to 4-2-3-1 or variations of that.

Bene beside Fisher (or MFW) to offer a bit more pace as centre backs. Edwards and Comrie both offer energy and some pace at full back, they can both get forward, especially if Edwards if you play someone right footed as the left winger/attacker (I`d prefer a more technical player - Mochrie/Summers/Moffat etc there than Jakubiak) that will naturally drift infield. KRH in front of Comrie on the right to hug the touch line, allowing Comrie to sit a little more. With Otoo and Hamilton as the 2 defensive midfielders, you have energy and tenacity in the middle, Hamilton can sit more allowing Otoo to get forward, but both can sit if 1 or both full backs are up the pitch. Matty Todd as the 10 (or a Summers/Moffat/Mochrie type), giving him freedom to roam but also help press the opposition. Kane would be an ideal number 9 due his game intelligence and physical presence.

Mehmet

Comrie
Fisher/MFW
Bene
Edwards (although probably a new left footed full back)

Hamilton
Otoo

KRH
Todd
Summers/Mochrie/Moffat

Kane/Wighton

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 May 15:25

nae point speculating on next season squad when we don`t know who is being released etc or coming in.

Let`s enjoy the summer and the build up to the euros
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Steviethepar2  
Date:   Fri 10 May 16:38

Quote:

jake89, Mon 06 May 14:03

Only just back from injury as well - wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up back at hibs even on loan
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 May 19:27

Quote:

Steviethepar2, Fri 10 May 16:38

Quote:

jake89, Mon 06 May 14:03

Only just back from injury as well - wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up back at hibs even on loan[/q.uote]

The Hibs fans I know don`t care for him much after he handed in a transfer request after 6 months and he didn`t appear to be well liked in the dressing room from what I`ve heard.

He is on 12k a week at Millwall so he will be stuck there unless he accepts a pay cut, I imagine. He may well go out on loan but his recent injury record will put some off probably as well as the salary.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SAP PAR  
Date:   Fri 10 May 20:51

They have said that the issue has been dealt with and he is very much in their plans for next season
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RMGpar  
Date:   Fri 10 May 22:18

He was with Comrie today ;) … we can dream haha

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DNCH  
Date:   Sat 11 May 01:47

If you read the Millwall manager`s comments about Nisbet it`s just clickbait headlines. He was disciplined for something minor and he makes a point of saying he`s an important player for the club moving forward and the matter is closed.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net